A Guide To Becoming A Nanny England & Abroad
Many people think that becoming in nanny abroad or in England is easy, however, that isn’t exactly true.
It is certainly a very enjoyable job if you like being around children but it is also very demanding if you want to be a professional nanny. Of course, this is understandable since you will be responsible for the care and education of children.
Now, we will look at exactly what you’ll require to become a nanny in England and internationally.
- Experience with childcare
- No criminal record (DBS)
- Ofsted registered
- Committed and professional
- Friendly, patient with children, caring and kind
- Well educated: The vast majority of parents want a nanny that is well educated, IT literate, has good teaching and language skills as well as have many different interests and hobbies.
DBS means Disclosure and Barring Service. It is a very thorough background check that is legally required. It includes the following:
- Checks on if the person is on any children’s barred list which means that they are barred from any occupation that works with kids.
- Police check: This is necessary to ensure that there isn’t any information about the person that would make them unsuited to this career. It includes checks according to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974. This basically would show if the person has any cautions or criminal convictions. It even shows those that are “spent” which wouldn’t show up in typical disclosures.
It is highly recommended that you use a childcare agency to find a good job as a nanny. In most cases, this is free for you to do. They will simply require the things listed above such as the DBS check as well as identification, passport, CV, certificates and diplomas, and past experience. If you are looking for a nanny I would highly recommend that you see Payroll For Nannies.
What is needed if you want to be a nanny within the United Kingdom?
In addition to the things listed above, you will also need to have a professional appearance and be punctual. You will also have to be responsible for the safety and development of any child that you’re taking care of. Some of the main nanny duties would include cleaning the child’s room, doing their laundry, cooking meals, putting away toys etc. It will also include taking the child to the doctor, taking them to school, after school lessons, taking them to sport, art or music lessons etc. In the event that you can play an instrument or are particularly skilled in a sport, then potential employers will surely appreciate this.
Now, you don’t necessarily need to be a native of the UK, but many families would prefer to have a nanny that is from the same country. So, if you’re not a UK native, then you need to ensure that you speak English quite well.
British Nannies Abroad
If you are considering becoming a nanny abroad, then you should be quite cautious. You should always do thorough research on any employer that offers you a job abroad.
It is important to do a minimum of 2 video interviews.
Be sure to examine all of the family’s references and it is a lot safer to use a childcare agency. It is also a good idea to get the contact information of previous nannies or even any other staff so that you can talk to them and get more information.
You should work for a probation period before you take on a long term position.
Lastly, you should always have a Plan B. This is another plan if you go abroad to work as a nanny and the employer doesn’t fulfil what they promised. Make sure that you have a plan on what you would do in this situation while being in a strange and foreign country.